— Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King
As we pause to reflect on the legacy of Martin Luther King, many of us are looking for ways to get involved and make a difference at this perilous point in history. As I said in my Chair's report on Wednesday, if 2017 was the year of resistance, 2018 is the year of resurgence. And that resurgence begins right here with the grassroots of the Democratic Party as we prepare for the 2018 Caucus and Convention Cycle. This is a GREAT opportunity to get involved and have an impact!
What is the Caucus and Convention Cycle?
Preparing for the State Convention - Call for Committee Members
Each local party organization is required to appoint members to three Washington State Democrats Convention Committees: the Credentials Committee, the Platform Committee and the Rules Committee. Appointees should be individuals committed to the Party and Democratic values and be members in good standing of their local appointing organization. These are important leadership positions demanding a great deal of time, dedication and ability to work well with others in small and large group settings. It is expected that appointees will adhere to the WSDCC Code of Conduct.
Recommended Qualifications for Committee Members
There are three State Convention Committees we need to assign representatives to: the Credentials Committee , the Platform Committee, and the Rules Committee. Serving on these committees is a great way to help build the Democratic Party and make sure it's responsive to the grass roots. In order to be a representative to one of these committees an individual must reside within the 34th District and be a member in good standing (e.g., have paid their 34th Dems member dues for 2018).
Credentials Committee Members
- Demonstrated commitment to accuracy, inclusivity, and transparency
- Flexibility and the judgement/experience to create digital and physical systems that work for local parties with diverse needs and memberships
- Ability to work under pressure and tight time constraints
- Possess prior credentials committee experience, at the local or state level
- Possess a working knowledge of credentialing process
- Working knowledge of DSAAP Rules
- Ability to attend a State Convention Credentials Committee meeting prior to the June Convention. Dates and locations to be determined.
- Must be available to attend the State Democratic Convention on June 16-17, 2018 in Wenatchee
Platform Committee Members
- Working knowledge of the existing party platform
- Working knowledge of the current resolutions process
- Experience drafting successfully passed clear and concise resolutions at the local or state level
- Possess prior platform committee experience, at the local or state level
- Ability to attend ideally all, if not the majority, of the State Platform Committee meetings, and the State Convention on June 16-17, 2018 in Wenatchee
- Saturday, April 28, 2018 – 10:00 AM - Seattle, WA
- Saturday, May 5, 2018 – 10:00 AM - Ellensburg, WA
- Sunday, May 13, 2018 – 10:00 AM - Ellensburg, WA
- Sunday, May 20, 2018 – 10:00 AM - Tacoma, WA
- Demonstrated parliamentary experience
- Working knowledge and understanding of State Charter, By-Laws and DSAAP Rules
- Prior rules committee experience, at local or state level
- Working knowledge of credentialing process
- Ability to attend at least one, potentially two, State Rules Committee meetings prior to the Convention and attend the State Democratic Convention on June 16-17, 2018 in Wenatchee. Dates and locations of meeting(s) prior to Convention are still to be determined.
Call for Committee Members
More information about the LD Caucus and State Convention will be coming out shortly. Right now we are soliciting nominations for the three State Convention Committees: Credentials, Platform and Rules. If you (or someone you know) have interest in serving on one of these committees, please let us know ASAP by emailing email@example.com. Assignments will be made at the Executive Board Meeting on Wednesday.
Thank you for all you do, I can't wait to see what we accomplish together in 2018!
Chair, 34th District Democrats
6523 California Avenue SW
West Seattle, White Center, Burien, Vashon & Maury Islands
Seattle WA 98136-1879 United States