I. Cover letter from George Scarola, Director of Homelessness
II. Cover letter attachment
III. Attachment transcript for JTF Meeting Feb-1-2017
IV. Application for Camp Second Chance
Community Advisory Committee (CAC)
V. CAC application PDF attachments
- Camp Second Chance Updates Part 2 (February-21-2017)
- Camp Second Chance Updates Part 1 (January-22-2017)
March 10, 2017
Dear Community Members:
First, I want to thank those of you who could come out to talk with me at the second community meeting on February 1. A lot has happened since then, and I want to provide a status report on opening of Camp Second Chance and on general issues related to the City’s response to homelessness.
Importantly, I want you to know that Camp Second Chance will be ready to accept campers as soon as next Thursday, March 16. The site will ultimately host up to 70 adults. Patacara Community Services will operate the encampment.
Residents moving to Camp Second Chance are referred there by the City’s Navigation Team, comprised of outreach workers and specially-trained police officers, conducting outreach. This site will have ongoing trash-recycling-compost service, drinkable water, portable toilets, security, and pest control. As the camp comes online, Patacara Community Services will also provide case management to the campers to help them access services and housing.
Here is an update on the commitments we made in response to concerns raised at the February 1 meeting. As always, this is an ongoing conversation:
- Seattle City Light will install street lighting on the east side of Myers Way from Olson Place to the King County border starting Monday, March 13.
- The City engaged an environmental firm to do surface soil testing, and the results show safe levels of contaminants in surface soil.
- The City installed a perimeter fence to delineate the site and protect the wetlands.
- Seattle Police Department (SPD) has cited and towed several RVs parked along Myers Way.
I will be organizing a third community meeting in the coming weeks and inviting King County officials, the King County Sheriff’s office, dispatch officers from 9-1-1, WSDOT officials and SPD officers to discuss better coordination, on-going issues with dispatch calls, and improved response to reports of criminal behavior. For those interested, I have also enclosed the transcript of the February 1 meeting.
Lastly, Patacara Community Services, with Seattle Department of Neighborhoods, will establish a Community Advisory Committee to provide input on the operations of the Camp Second Chance. This committee will be made up of residents, businesses owners, and other community stakeholders. Meetings will be public, and meeting notes will be posted online. If you would like to serve on this committee, an application is attached. The first meeting will be held in early April; more information to come.
Below are phone numbers that may be helpful for you:
- Police-Fire-Medical Emergency: 9-1-1
- Police Non-emergency: (206) 625-5011
- Patacara Community Services - Encampment operator: Polly Trout at (206) 465-6342
- Seattle Public Utilities 24-hour line to report trash, illegal dumping or needles: (206) 684-7587
If you have questions, please feel free to contact me or Patacara.
Director of Homelessness
City of Seattle | Office of the Mayor
O: 206.727.8514 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Facebook | Twitter
As part of the agreement with the City of Seattle to host sanctioned encampments, we are looking for up to seven members of the community to join our Community Advisory Committee. This committee will help to ensure that the encampment runs successfully and respects the surrounding neighborhood. The group is expected to meet regularly to address any concerns and to assess the success of the encampment. See back of page for transitional encampment ordinance language.
Form fields appear here in the PDF attachments
Please return completed form to:
Tom Van Bronkhorst, Seattle Department of Neighborhoods,
at email@example.com or by mail to
P.O. Box 94649, Seattle, WA 98124-4649.
Questions? Contact Polly Trout, Patacara Community Services
206-465-6342 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Print: Camp-Second-Chance-CAC-Application-Final-print-version.pdf
- Electronic: Camp-Second-Chance-CAC-Application-Final-print-version.pdf