-- John Walling
To best prepare for effective treatment of life threatening bleeding, you need training and a bleeding control kit with tourniquet and hemostatic gauze.
Mass casualty events can happen at anytime and anywhere. At your workplace, at the game, during your commute, or even at your house. This free Stop the Bleed training will equip participants with the knowledge to save lives.
Upon completion, participants will be able to:
- Understand the principles of your response during an active shooter event.
- Describe the progressive strategy for controlling hemorrhage.
- Demonstrate wound packing and learn about topical hemostatic dressings.
- Explain the rationale for early use of a tourniquet for life-threatening extremity bleeding.
- Demonstrate the appropriate application of a tourniquet to the arm and leg.
Stop the Bleed – Washington | Training | Registration | Materials | Resources
Each kit should contain these basic items:
- Packing gauze
- Compression bandage
- Marking pen
Since a severe injury can lead to life-threatening blood loss within minutes, time is of the essence, and ordinary citizens who just happen to be nearby are often in the best position to intervene.
Right: CAT® (Combat Application Tourniquet)
Training Certificate provided by Seattle Office of Emergency Management