Electrical fire safety February 7-13, 2021 is National Burn Awareness Week and is sponsored by the American Burn Association. The theme for this year is electrical burns. One of the most common electrical fire issues we encounter involves the use of portable space heaters and extension cords. The two should never be used together. Always plug portable heaters directly into an outlet.
More electrical fire safety information from the NFPA
Heaters need space. One of the most common heating issues is related to combustibles that are too close to heaters. The Seattle Fire Department recommends one foot clearance between baseboard heaters and all combustibles, including curtains, furniture, books, and beds. Space heaters need three feet clearance and should never be plugged into an extension cord.
Heating safety information from the USFA
For questions or more information, contact the Seattle Fire Department.
The Seattle Fire Department is providing free virtual fire safety presentations to apartment residents and staff. Presentations for residents cover how to respond to a building fire alarm, what to do if a fire starts inside an apartment, and how to prevent and respond to a cooking fire on the stove. Staff members can learn the ways to assist the fire department before and during a fire emergency.
For more information or to schedule a presentation contact Public Affairs.
301 2nd Avenue South
Seattle, WA 98104